Thursday, October 23, 2008
Come hear Writopia's youngest writers, ages 9-11, read their prose and memoirs at Barnes & Noble at Lincoln Center on Friday, November 7th, at 5:00pm! Read more!
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Many amazing things happened at the last reading:
1) We changed locations last-minute to the New York Public Library Jefferson Market Branch (from Barnes & Noble West Village) and we started almost on time.
2) As our readers read their prose, memoirs, poetry, and scripts, the audience (of about 55) laughed and gasped at all the right moments.
3) It turns out that our young literati are phenomenal actors, too. It was incredible to hear Lena Beckenstein's script read aloud so... dramatically. :-)
4) The editors of the forthcoming teen anthology of six-word memoirs came and answered all pressing questions, relaying info such as:
a) the book will be published sometime over the next year
b) emails will go out within a couple of months to all those whose memoirs they choose to include
c) and of course, you'll get a free book along with it!
5) The "Six-Word Memoir Blast" inspired the writing of more six-word memoirs... which can still be submitted to the website --and can still be featured and commented upon by others.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Become Inspired as NYC's Award-Winning Teen Writers and Rising Stars Read their Original Prose at Barnes & Noble Greenwich Village
To be included in this event, top teen writers had to participate in at least five days of intensive workshopping at Writopia Lab and, in that time, complete and polish an original short story, memoir, or script.
Teen Highlights: The Scholastic Award's 2008 American Voices Award Winner, Louis Evans, will read his poetry and six-word memoirs; the Scholastic Award's 2008 Summer Scholarship Winners, Angelica Modabber and Eunju Namkung, will read their newest short stories and memoirs. Seven other 2008 Scholastic Award winners will be reading their newest works and six-word memoirs.
Publishing Highlights: Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser, the editors of the New York Times Best-Seller, Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure, will be attending the reading. They were so impressed by Writopia Teens' submissions to their newest anthology, Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure, that they decided to come and meet some of the writers in person. In their honor, Writopia has also invited some of their six-word memoirists to read their short, short pieces at the event as well.
Come hear the fabulous works of the next generation of thinkers and writers! And find out how teens submit six-word memoirs for publication and longer form pieces to the 2009 Scholastic Awards!
If you have further questions about this event, Writopia Lab, or the Scholastic Awards, feel free to email me at Rebecca@WritopiaLab.org or call: 917-213-5590.
Executive Director, WritopiaLab, Inc
Monday, October 6, 2008
It was wonderful to hear five of their deep, beautifully crafted pieces read aloud this past Sunday at Just Books in Old Greenwich, CT.
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser, the editors of the New York Times Best-Seller, Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure, have been so impressed by Writopia's submissions to their newest anthology, Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure, that they have decided to attend our upcoming reading at Barnes & Noble Greenwich Village, located at 396 Avenue of the Americas, on Tuesday, October 14th at 7:00pm!
In honor of Larry and Rachel, we have added a six-word memoir component to the reading. Please come and feel free to bring six-word memoirs! Read more!